Mercy Ships New Zealand Privacy and Data Protection Policy
Mercy Ships New Zealand is committed to protecting your privacy. This policy outlines the requirements for the collection, use, disclosure and storage of your personal information. Mercy Ships New Zealand uses some of your personal information to help those in need. Mercy Ships New Zealand collection, storage and use of your personal information is regulated by the Privacy Act 1993 (New Zealand).
Personal information collected by Mercy Ships New Zealand may include:
- your contact information like your name, address, email address, phone number;
- your date of birth, gender and occupation;
- your bank account; and
- a history of your donations and correspondence with Mercy Ships New Zealand.
Mercy Ships New Zealand may collect information from you when you interact with us, whether this is by phone, in person, online, by email or on forms completed by you. Personal information collected online is secured using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption. Mercy Ships New Zealand also collects information from its own records of how much you have donated.
Mercy Ships New Zealand may use your personal information to:
- process your donation or provide receipts;
- provide you with information on how your donation is used;
- confirm your identity when you make enquiries about your donation;
- send you information about Mercy Ships New Zealand’s activities, including by way of a newsletter; and
- develop, improve and market our range of activities, projects and fund raising appeals.
Should you not wish to receive the newsletter or information about Mercy Ships New Zealand’s activities, projects and fund raising appeals, please let us know.
Mercy Ships New Zealand will not retain your information longer than needed after you have stopped donating or corresponding with it.
Mercy Ships New Zealand may disclose your personal information to:
- Mercy Ships New Zealand’s related entities;
- third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law or when we have your prior authorisation;
- its accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- New Zealand Post who assist with mailing operations;
- the web site designer who assists with website usage analysis; and
- Mercy Ships New Zealand’s Bank when depositing your donations and membership fees.
Mercy Ships New Zealand takes reasonable steps to ensure that third parties are bound to keep private your personal information as required by law and to only use your personal information for the specific purpose for which Mercy Ships New Zealand provides it.
We analyse non-identifiable web traffic data to improve our services. We use Google Analytics, a paid third party service to analyse the web traffic data for us. We own the data that is generated and it will not be shared with any other party for any other purpose.
We may collect, hold, and use statistical information about visits to help us improve the site, for instance:
- Your IP address
- The search terms you used
- The pages accessed on our site and the links you clicked on
- The date and time you visited the site
- The referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this site
- Your operating system (eg Windows XP, Mac OS X)
- The type of web browser you use (eg Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
The data collected is aggregated and is not personally identifiable. IP addresses are masked so that they cannot be used to identify individuals. Our web analytics will also respect any “do not track” setting you might have set on your browser.
We also use tracking cookies to track and analyse non-personally identifiable data about our website usage. You can choose to opt out of our tracking cookies without affecting your ability to use the site.
Links to social networking services
We do use social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to communicate with the public about our work. When you communicate with us using these services, the social networking service may collect your personal information for its own purposes.
These services may track your use of our website on those pages where their links are displayed. If you are logged in to those services (including any Google service) while using our site, their tracking will be associated with your profile with them. These services have their own privacy policies which are independent of ours.
Mercy Ships New Zealand collects and stores your personal information on a database used by Mercy Ships New Zealand and its parent organisation, Mercy Ships, a United States non-profit religious corporation incorporated in California and domiciled in the State of Texas. That database can only be accessed by using a password.
Correcting and accessing information
If you want to change any information that you have previously given to Mercy Ships New Zealand, have access to the information Mercy Ships New Zealand holds about you, have any queries about the use of your personal information, or if you do not want to receive any further information from Mercy Ships New Zealand you can:
- call our National Office on (09) 950 4303; or
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to Policy