Getting ready to sail; we need you!
There’s a global surgical backlog, and in Africa the lack of access to essential surgery has escalated. We’re ready to do something about it – but we need your help. We’ve got a Big Ask – but say yes and your courage and compassion will change lives. We need to get the Africa Mercy and the Global Mercy underway to bring essential surgery to West Africa – and we need volunteers willing to spend two months on board caring for our crew and patients. Can you come with us – soon or in the year ahead?
To support our incoming crew, there is travel assistance available for some roles. and MIQ costs upon return to NZ are covered for volunteers serving 8+weeks.
Mercy Ships is a faith-based hospital ship charity providing free essential surgery for some of Africa’s most marginalised people. We offer amazing volunteer opportunities for people with a sense of purpose to make the world a better place for people in need.
Each crew member is an integral part of providing life-changing operations to children who have been ostracised, and adults who have experienced a lifetime of needless suffering.
This is the right time for you to find out more about how your talents and skills fit onboard! Hit the volunteer button to see the full range of positions for the next field service in sub-Saharan Africa. Long term volunteer positions
- Opportunities include maritime, medical and operational roles
- Duration of 1-3 years of service, with financial assistance available
- Leadership and management volunteer roles are for 2-5 years, with family cabin allocation and enrollment for children in the on-ship school
Click here to see positions available
Short term volunteer positions
These vary in duration from 2 weeks to 10 months, depending on the role requirements. You can see the minimum volunteer commitment requested in the available positions summaries, and applications are being received now.
Areas of volunteer service
There is a unique experience waiting for people from many backgrounds who have the heart to keep the ship and its hospital running smoothly as we serve our patients. Which role has your name on it?
- Computer and IT specialists
- Theatre, paediatric and other nurse specialities
- Photographers, videographers and writers
- Catering staff
- Specialist medical staff
- and roles for people who simply want to volunteer wherever help is needed
Now’s the perfect time to find out more!
Find out about volunteer assistance for Kiwis
- Check out all the available positions here
- Get in touch with us via our volunteering form so we can keep you up to date on further on specific opportunities
- Read the questions most frequently asked by people considering volunteering here
- Watch our volunteering webinar
- Talk about volunteering with Sharon Walls in our Auckland office on 0800 637297 or 09 9504303, or contact by email
There’s a place for you on board!